Ketton Over the Years

 

This information is mainly sourced from the Ketton Village History website by kind permission of Laura Blenkinsop. More information can be found on www.kettonvillagehistory.co.uk

  In the Beginning....

  • Ketton is an old established settlement and was mentioned as Chetene in the Domesday Book in 1086. St Mary’s Church dates from 1190, and a celebration was held in the village in 1990 to celebrate the 800th anniversary. The  church was rebuilt in 1289.

  16th Century

  • Until the 16th century formal registers of births, marriages and deaths were not regularly kept and St Mary's Church registers began in 1568. The bells of Ketton Church did not ring out until 1598, followed by other bells installed in 1601, 1606, 1609, 1640 and 1713  

 

  17th Century

  • In the 17th Century a licence was granted for Presbyterian meetings in a private house in Ketton, the original Ketton Hall was built and occupied by the Noel–Edwards family, and Collyweston bridge was first built.

  18th Century

  • The most significant event in the 18th Century was the enclosure of Ketton parish. Before enclosure, much of the arable land in England was organised into an open field system. (Closes were small areas of enclosed private land such as paddocks, orchards or gardens, mostly near houses). In 1795 Sophia Elizabeth Edwards of Ketton Hall died aged 25 at Exton Hall. In her will she left money to establish a school in Ketton "to promote religion, morality and industry amongst the poor"

  19th Century

  • In England, and this was also true of Ketton, the 19th Century was a time of great change. New churches were established in the village: the Congregational Chapel in Chapel Lane was built in 1829 and the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was established in Bull Lane in 1834. In 1861 the nave, aisles and transepts at Ketton Church were restored at a cost of £2,150 under the direction of Sir George Gilbert Scott.

 

  • New schools opened. In 1830 the Miss Edwards Dame school was established at 67 High Street (35 years after the money was left for the purpose in Sophia Edwards will), and the Ketton National School was opened in 1857.

 

  • There was also great social change. Ketton Workhouse in Redmiles Lane closed in 1836 when Ketton joined the Stamford Union. The Ketton Friendly Society was founded in 1839 and in 1870 the Amicable Friendly Club was founded (it closed in 1911 with the introduction of the National Insurance Act). St Mary’s Diocesan Home opened at 88-90 High Street in 1892 for reforming young women and training them for domestic service under the care of the Sisters of the Community of St Mary the Virgin at Wantage, Berkshire. It closed in 1944.

 

  • Ketton was also changing from a predominantly agricultural way of life to one where trade and commerce were important. In 1834 Thomas Nutt opened a quarry in Ketton for raising and squaring freestone. In 1860 Thomas Molesworth started brewing in Ketton and 1877 the Rutland Brewery was established. Access to light and heat were transformed with the gas works being built in 1860 and the Ketton Gas and Coke Company founded in 1862. Telegraphic Communications came to Ketton in 1872 as part of the postal service. Ketton railway station opened on 1st May1848.

 

  • Despite the many social and occupation changes, the population of Ketton remain fairly steady from 951 residents in the 1841 census to 1027 in 1891. Village life was thriving. In 1884 the first Ketton Sports and Gala was held. Sports events were not new to the village and there was a mention in newspapers in 1858 of Ketton Cricket Club beating Holywell. In 1890 a Juvenile Branch of the Northwick Lodge of Oddfellows was established, the Tixover and Ketton Garden Society was established (1891) and Dr Snell started the Ketton Brass Band in 1888.

 

  • Occasions of note included the erection of the Jubilee Fountain at Stocks Hill to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria, and the first meeting of Ketton Parish Council held at the National School Room in 1894.

   20th Century

  • The 20th Century changed England in many ways that were also reflected in Ketton. The turn of the century coincided with the death of Queen Victoria and start of the Edwardian period. Ketton continued to develop with many events and activities reflecting the changing times. The population doubled in the 100 years from 1911 (991 villagers) to 2011 (1962 villagers). The century saw two major world conflicts, WW1 and WW2, both taking their toll on the village. For more information see the Ketton Village History website.

 

  • The school continued to increase in size and in 1908 Ketton Primary School was enlarged to 134 boys and girls, 74 infants. However in 1912 it was closed on account of scarlet fever in the village. A new Ketton School was opened on 30 June 1969 by the Bishop of Peterborough. In 1972 the library was built - faced with stone from the former National School.

 

  • The number of public houses decreased from 12 (1911) to 2 (2011).  The Ketton Village History website has a page on Public Houses in Ketton.

 

  • Utilities and services continued to improve. In 1901 the first (private) water supply came to Ketton, to The Cottage in Aldgate. The first public water supply came to Ketton in 1957. Electricity for general use came to Ketton 1936 although electric light was installed in the Congregational Chapel in 1934. However some services did not continue. The gas works closed down in 1916, and the Ketton railway station (renamed Ketton and Collyweston) was closed on 6 June 1966.

 

  • The housing for older people was improved. In 1964 Mary Emma Molesworth left money in her will (from a trust set up by her sister Helen Potter) to establish Molesworth Eventide Bungalows, the Duchess of Gloucester opened Chater House (residential care home) in 1969, Manor View flats were built on the site near The Crown pub in 1971, and in 1980 Carver Court opened.

 

  • In 1908 a Mother's Union branch opened in Ketton. Mrs Tweddell, who lived at The Priory, was the founding enrolling member. In 1910 a patrol of Baden-Powell Boy Scouts was formed in the village. Ketton Football Club started in 1928

                        

  • In July 1928 Ketton cement works opened and has since become a dominant sight on the village skyline. Ketton Quarries were designated a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) as they contain nationally important exposures of Jurassic Limestone in 1986. The core of the village was designated a Conservation Area in 1972

 

  • The Ketton History Group (see calendar for dates) is carrying out further research. Please join us.

 

For more information go to   www.kettonvillagehistory.co.uk

Ketton Village Community

The community website for Ketton in Rutland

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now